2011 NAIP web service
The Montana State Library now has the 2011 NAIP available via an ArcGIS Server Image Service. The new “NAIP” image service contains 2009 NAIP and 2011 NAIP data, both of which are 4-band datasets. By default when a user adds NAIP to ArcMap, 2011 is displayed. Users of ArcGIS version 10.0 or greater can change the year or the band combination in the Layer Properties (link to directions is below). ArcGIS 9.3 users can change the band combinations but cannot change the year since the Definition Query tab is not available for Image Services until v10.0. To access 2009 NAIP, 9.3 users may use the existing NAIP_2009 image service.
To connect in ArcGIS:
- In ArcMap: Click the add data button
- Select GIS Servers from Look in: list
- In ArcCatalog: Expand GIS Servers in the Catalog Tree
- Double click on Add ArcGIS Server connection
- Take first default: Use GIS Services
- Click Next
- Copy and paste the URL (http://gisservice.mt.gov/arcgis/services/) into Internet Server URL text box
- Click Finish
- Service will appear in the Add Data Window.
- Browse to the MSDI_Framework folder and add the “NAIP” service
For the immediate future, the NAIP_2009 image service will remain available. MSL is working on a policy for how long previous versions of NAIP imagery will be available as web services. To provide input, please contact:
Stu Kirkpatrick (SKirkpatrick@mt.gov)
Evan Hammer (EHammer@mt.gov)